Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Transferring Photos- another internet craft

So I jumped on the Pinterest bandwagon. woo hoo. While it is an entertaining avenue for wasting time, I have found a couple of projects I've wanted to try. The first one I have attempted is transferring photos to wood.
This is the original link I took directions from. Of course, if you go there, you don't really need to read the rest of this post. :P
http://oleandercreek.blogspot.com/2011/12/transfer-pictures-to-wood.html
It's pretty simple and doesn't require much finesse, so it's got that going for it.
You need:
*photograph printed from a laser printer (reverse the image before you print if you don't want the finished image backwards)
*gel medium- I bought one with a bit of a gloss finish
*brush

Lay the picture on the wood face down. Paint it evenly with the gel medium and keep the picture as flat & even on the surface as possible. I used the slanted end of my paint brush to flatten the image to the wood. It worked really well. Let it dry really well (a few hours/overnight.)
Wet the covered area (I just ran some water over it, but you can also use a wet wash cloth) and rub the paper off. It looks like you might be messing it up as the paper starts to peel/come off, but that's when you start to see the picture come through. Don't scratch it, but don't be afraid to put elbow grease into it.

After that, you've got your transferred image. I'm wanting to try it on canvas next.


I transferred the picture onto a block of wood. You can see where 
the edges weren't perfectly smoothed out, but I kind of like the look. 



No comments:

Post a Comment